I am writing to WHO,newspapers, media, 50K my other email contacts abt this so :
- An investigation by international organisation must be carried out in Indian Hospitals their ICU's and OT's to make sure that our hospitals are not carrying infections specially lung infection.
- Daily a check of nursing staff / docs and their equipments must be made and sanitized My father in law developed infection after he was put on ventilator and subsequently it was found that he has developed lung infection. Is ventilator the culprit.
- Whether a law be made where hospital can not charge a patients if post 3 days of hospitalization new ailments develop.
- Doctors have to be available in large hospitals or their licence be cancelled.
- Patients relatives must not be allowed inside ICU /ICCU but CCTV must be installed so relatives can see the patients and there care.
- I am a witness of some cases where the saline needle shifted and whole hand was swollen and only when patients relative brought this dangerous situation to knowledge of nursing staff they ran to attend the patient. What is a remedy. Everyone else is punished for negligence but has ever been hospital staff been punished.
- From the recovery or death with in one hour patient/ body must be discharged. Most hospital delay same and charge for next day too. What is a step govt going to take to stop fleecing the clients?? why so many cheats have come in this profession?? Is it because politicinas and bureaucrats run medical colleges charge huge donation and then docs recover same this way and finally continue to do so whole life??
- I have seen docs specially dentists who don't use disposable gloves, don't use proper cleanliness, hygiene, and staff is not trained. I condemn attack on medical professional but then what is a remedy for aggrieved relatives of patient???? Is law balanced to common man. I am fwd this mail to Indian judiciary and others too for waking up to sufferings of innocent patients and their relatives.
- In a five star type fortis hospital in Jaipur there is no proper rest room for relatives of ICU/ critical patients and are made to sleep on floor and where as docs and hospital management sleeps in 5 star apartments. But I equally condemn pathetic condition in which interns are made to live in hospitals and that is where they become cruel to others as they have faced all kind of inconvenience, sufferings and under payment. But shocking is is their not a single doctor in Jaipur Fortis / Ajmer Mittal hospital who is making lots of money ( whether patient die or live) to raise concern abt the inconvenience meted out to relatives of critical patients who are already so badly stressed and in shock for critical condition of near one.
- All hospitals should allow visit of another doctor of choice of patients/relatives to give second opinion. They be allowed to see all reports of patients every 12 hrs. How can they play hide and seek?? Here I found Asian Heart experience abt patients relatives counseling ion daily basis very good system. Legally same must be made mandatory for all hospitals. Why should we chase a doc for feedback/ update etc like a beggar even after paying them huge money. I have seen many who have taken loan and paid to docs/ hosps and yet get miserable treatment where as if their VIP / filmi like Amitabh Bachan is there then they give hourly health bulletin because the doc gets to see/ and show his face on TV?? Are they more equal then other citizens of India??? Will supreme court have to order a system or will corrupt IMA and govt take some steps??
- When my mother in law was taken to hospital every other her belongings were removed but for nose ring ( or whatever u call ) studded with diamond as it was not coming out. On the sad day same was noted to be there by visiting relatives till 6 pm. At 7 pm she was declared no more. After that when body was handed over the nose ring was missing.We know of cases where from rooms of hospital things missing.We cant narrow down on anyone. But here she was in ICU and then handed over to realatives. Should not necessary law be made of taking inventory of such things on admission?? Should not there be a camera till the place the dead body is stored?? Will people at helm of affairs the docs, the management,the govt authorities wake up and do something as these things pile up ( like communal violence ) and then gets bursted like a volcano ( my close dear friend doctor in Mumbai was gunned down some yrs back by a brother of patient who died.
- And the biggest inhuman are TPA's and insurance cos who make run pillar to post patients and their relatives when u need them most. But IRDA,Insurance council, Ombudsman, consumer courts,govt insurers are all appointed by govt / bureaucrats so they are all chor chor mausere bhai who will reduce sufferings of common-man where VIP gets all work done in ziffy and we suffer as slaves in India.
My mother in law died exactly died 55 days days ( and she was hardly old enough ( 68 yrs) of lung infection. Nawab Pataudi died of lung infection. There r many other cses I know where people were admitted and then found to have lung infection.
Similarly I have seen cases of persons admitted for High BP or heart attack. Hospital does necessary. But in the meanwhile there kidneys fail which were working well when they were admitted.
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 10:26 PM, Deepak Barodia <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
Date: Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 6:50 PM
Subject: Are you making doctors.........Money making machine ?
To: ranjana.smetacek@..., ruhee.dhar@...
Dear All,Please forward to all.With deep regret I want to inform you the demise of my wife Rupali Sharmaon 17th July due to post operative complication after brain surgery.I would also like to bring to your notice how private hospitals likeFORTIS are robbing people of their life and money. Please be very carefulwhile dealing with such hospitals. Find below the details of my experiencewith Fortis Noida.My wife age 29 ( occupation- trainer with HCL) was diagnosed with a nonmalignant brain tumor on 17th June2011. She did not have any majorsymptoms like headache, eye problem or vomiting. She was suggested surgeryfor removal of tumor. We took opinions from Max, Indo Gulf and finallydecided on Fortis because of the good reputation of Dr. A K Singh.Doctors did not make us aware that it is a very complicated surgery andsaid that there are only incidental risks. "Amount of risk involved issame as the risk when you come from your home to hospital"On the date of admission I pointed out several times that my wife washaving severe cough and cold. It was ignored by doctors saying "Everythingis perfect". Later on Dr Sanjay Gupta admitted that this could have led toinfection.How could they ignore it? Moreover the doctor preponed thesurgery by one day because he had to go outside India.We were totallyunaware of that. Why did not they postpone the surgery instead?From day one the team did not have any consensus on how the tumor will beremoved. They said that they will try from nose first , if not they willcut open the skull. On the day of operation (8th July)they said after 5hrs that they could not extract tumor through nose so .. they will openthe skull. My dear wife had to go through both the procedures. The wholeoperation took 12 hrs.Post operative care is pathetic. Why was my wife given sandwich and cholechawal in ICU after next day of such a major surgery?My wife vomitted on13 July morning and was drowsy. We immediately alarmed the doctors onduty. But they ignored the situation saying that everything is normal. Inthe evening she was perspiring, We again alarmed doctors on duty but noaction was taken. If the doctors have been proactive they could have savedmy wife.By 14th morning the condition had deteriorated and doctors took her to ICUand put her on ventilator saying it is not required but as a precautionthey were doing it.The worst part is that senior doctors A K Singh andSanjeev Dua went out of country on that day. We tried to reach themthrough various means but they were not available for next 3 days. (Howcould they leave two patients in such a serious condition?There wasanother patient with similar case in ICU who also died )Doctors who were available ( Vikas Gupta, Bundela, Sanjay Gupta ) actedlike bunch of idiots. They could not diagnose the problem and conditiondeteriorated every day. There was total lack of leadership and no teamwork at all. Each doctor gave a different reason for the problem ( lunginfection, hypo perfusion, brain infection none of which was confirmed bythe time of death). On 14th July, doctors were saying that there is lunginfection but they had not called any lung specialist. It is only when wesuggested , they called an expert? Why did not they call the experts onthere own?On 16th July Dr. Vivek Chawla was instructed to update us the condition by7:00 am in morning. However we were not informed till 11:00 Am that shehad a cardiac arrest at 4:00 am. My wife's cousin (who is a doctor inAIIMS) visited Fortis Neuro ICU on 17th July , he told me that my wife wasalready dead. After he left , hospital declared dead my wife. Otherwisethey would have continued with ventilator for god knows how many days. Oneof the lady doctor in ICU very shamefully admitted that there wasnegligence on part of doctors.The hospital has international standards in only the exorbitant rated theycharge. They gave me an estimate of 2.5 lakhs to cure my wife and chargedRs 5.5 lakhs for her deadbody. We were never communicated that the chargeshad gone beyond the estimate. How could they expect us to deposit morethan double the amount at the time of death on a Sunday evening?There was no doctor from Neurosurgery team available when the death wasdeclared. When we shouted at the authorities they were quick enough tocall the police within minutes. But they could not get any doctor toconfirm the cause of death or at least give a condolence message as ahuman gesture. We had to immediately arrange double the estimated cost,otherwise they would not give us the dead body.We had a meeting with hospital management and team of doctors on 4th Aug.Where doctors accepted majority of our allegations. We demanded a returnof the extra money paid and action against doctors. Director Mr SukhmeetSandhu assured a response by phone in two days. After 8 days we received acondolence message with no action.Nowadays hospitals believe in profiteering even at the cost of life. Thereis no trasparency and they put people on ventilator even when it is notrequired. Very careless attitude of doctors, nurses and other staff. Againwarning you against such malpractices.Kindly request you to forward this mail to all your friends and relativesand request you to suggest me good lawyer/ agency who could help me indealing with this situation.RegardsSrijan Sharma ( F1707 )9818643613